compat-python, Zope...

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Oct 15 07:53:22 UTC 2008

On 15.10.2008 09:17, Oliver Falk wrote:
> Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 13:02:48 +0200
>> oliver at linux-kernel.at (Oliver Falk) wrote:
>>
>>> OK. I think I've read the whole old thread now :-)
>>> First of all: I *will* package compat-python and Zope/Plone, because
>>> I need it at work. The only question is if Fedora/FESCo wants me to
>>> share my work with the Fedora community or not!
>> FYI, note that compat-python24 and compat-zope are already in livna
>> (and I assume then also rpmfusion).
>> Perhaps you could offer to help maintain those with their maintainer
>> there? Even less work, since they are already packaged/used.
> I've taken these packages as a starting point. I will need additional
> python modules and I do also need compat-python23 and why not take these
> packages into Fedora. Why is everyone wicked about maintaining packages
> in a third party repository? I know rpmfusion and most packages seem to
> be quite good. What's the reason for not taking them into Fedora -
> except those packages with non-floss licenses?

Just a note for those not familiar with the habits from Livna/RPM
Fusion: Livna/RPM Fusion normally doesn't take any packages that are
suitable for Fedora (¹).

Back then we tried our best to get compat-python directly into Fedora,
but those efforts failed. Hence Livna accepted compat-python (and hence
it made its way to RPM Fusion). But I'm all for moving compat-python* to
Fedora, so I really appreciate your efforts Oliver!

CU
knurd

(¹) yes, now and then a package accidentally slipped through (or
suddenly becomes suitable for Fedora); but all of them afaik have been
moved to Fedora or are in the process of moving (the last one I know cam
from Dribble as is under review for Fedora now)