compat-python, Zope...

James Antill james.antill at redhat.com
Wed Oct 15 13:45:05 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 09:08 +0200, Oliver Falk wrote:
> James Antill wrote:
> [ ... ]
> >> I can think of a Python 2.4 package that lives within the Zope tree to
> >> make it extra hard for others to use it by accident - but I don't think
> >> that this would be neat, seen from a FHS point of view.
> >
> >  In some ways this might be doable, at least it has less pain points
> > than packaging it "properly".
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here? Do you mean with properly an
> /usr/%{_lib}/python%{major}.{minor}/ installation? Well, I'd like to
> invite everybody to have a look at the livna packages. Those are fine
> and don't hurt the main python...

% repoquery --repoid=livna --provides compat-python24-imaging
_imaging.so()(64bit)
_imagingft.so()(64bit)
_imagingmath.so()(64bit)
compat-python24-imaging = 1.1.6-1.lvn9
% repoquery --provides python-imaging
_imaging.so()(64bit)
_imagingft.so()(64bit)
_imagingmath.so()(64bit)
python-imaging = 1.1.6-9.fc9
% repoquery --repoid=livna --provides compat-python24-lxml
compat-python24-lxml = 2.0.5-1.lvn9
etree.so()(64bit)
objectify.so()(64bit)
pyclasslookup.so()(64bit)
% repoquery --provides python-lxml
etree.so()(64bit)
objectify.so()(64bit)
pyclasslookup.so()(64bit)
python-lxml = 2.0.8-1.fc9

...those are all "wrong", in that you can get cross python/python24
provides/requires.

>  > and you need to
> > make sure that python-foo doesn't pull in compat-python24-bar (and vice
> > versa).
>
> Hm. How should that happen? Especially with koji....

 Well that's a big question, the simplest solution we've come up with is
"don't package python24" ... hence my text about that if everything was
kludged into Zope itself (and all the provides removed) it would be
better, in some ways.

--
James Antill <james.antill at redhat.com>
Red Hat