reviving Fedora Legacy

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 16:48:55 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 11:42 PM, Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr> wrote:
> The aim here is not to present the _appearance_ of a distro with
> security updates but give the choice to the user either to upgrade or to
> stick with a distro where some packages will not be maintained.
> Something along "That distro is EOL. Upgrade before you get hacked.
> Alternatively, and at your own risk, you can enable a repository where
> some packages are updated on a volunteer basis, but some packages aren't
> maintained anymore."
>
> With a page listing which packages are still supported.

I still want to see more affirmative scenarios on how old branches are
to be closed out..eventually.  If you can not decide and publish a
pre-determined EOL date, then you will have to measure something to
determine when to close out the branch. Branches must have an end
scenario.. we can not make an open ended resource commitment to each
and every Fedora release from now into the future.  What you are
setting up is a situation were all branches remain open forever on the
off-chance that someone might want to pick up and maintain a package
15 years from now. Not acceptable.  If these branches are going to
remain open based on interest..then we'll need to measure that
interest and set a bar to meet that makes sense as a determining point
to start shutting down the branch.

-jef