reviving Fedora Legacy

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Wed Oct 15 17:18:41 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 09:37:57AM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> I think we're stretching beyond bugzilla's capabilities but I'd be happy
> to be proved wrong :-)
>
> I don't think bugzilla has separation of Product-versions so there's no
> way to assign different people to Fedora-10 and Fedora-7.

That's annoying. Is it something we have to worry about in Fedora and
EPEL proper, that is, would we like to be able to separate owners for
different releases, or is it something we need to worry about only if
infrastructure is kept open for old branches?

> Like Fedora Legacy we could have a separate Fedora Legacy/LTS Product...
> but then, how do we guide people to use that Product when their machine
> suddenly transitions from Fedora-Current-Release to Fedora-Legacy-Release?

I don't think there should ever be a sudden and unnoticed transition. I
like what Jesse proposed with PackageKit for the long term, and in the
short term people would have to manually install a yum config file
(maybe part of a rpm, but manually).

--
Pat