minimum memory requirements

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Thu Oct 16 18:08:24 UTC 2008

> On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 10:44 -0400, Jon Masters wrote:
> >
> > To be fair, they probably didn't have a desktop to carry along for the
> > ride. But then I guess I could counter that the problem here is I
> > couldn't even run the installer with less than 384MB RAM. I dropped it
> > down to 256MB after install but then had to bump it back up again - and
> > I expect the first time I run yum I'll want to put it back to 512MB.
> >
> > I had been trying to reduce VM memory sizes to run more at once...
>
> You haven't yet stated your install type and method, which can make a
> huge difference.

Ah, this was rawhide done from a boot.iso image.

> Graphical install type, booted from just vmlinuz and initrd.img and
> subsequently downloading stage2 from the network is going to have
> a /much/ higher memory footprint than if you were to boot from boot.iso
> (which has stage2 on it), do a text mode install from whatever method.

True, I know I could just do a text mode install.

> You see, if you have to download stage2, you're downloading it to memory
> based filesystem and losing that much memory just to the storage of the
> file.

I'm not sure that's the case any more though. There used to be a stage1
and a stage2 image for Anaconda, but now I think it's all a live image
within that 100+ MB boot.iso file, without a separate download stage2.
Perhaps I'll do another install later and switch to the console (it's
cool that there's a usable shell early on now too) to check tmpfs.

Jon.