repodata and comps.xml filenames in hexadecimal?

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Thu Oct 16 22:35:25 UTC 2008

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 14:54 -0400, G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:
>>
>> I know someone is working on a rewrite of some of the stuff dealing with
>> repodata and comps.xml.  I notice today that the names of the files in
>> repodata have the hexadecimal checksums prepended.   Is this the new
>> "standard" or is there a bug in the generation scripts?
>
> It's a new standard.  The repodata files are uniquely named which helps
> many things such as proxies.

Is there a reason why the uniqueness part is prepended rather than
appended? It's kinda hard to tell which file is which when browsing
repositories.

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/development/i386/os/repodata/

I realize that you probably won't browse the repodata directory too
often, but just in case it didn't make a difference, I thought it would
be kinda nice to be able to tell one from the other, on the few
occations where you actually might need to do so... :-)

/Thomas