private group administration

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Sun Oct 19 11:17:13 UTC 2008

On Sat October 18 2008, Robert Locke wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-10-18 at 12:25 -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:

> > Right, with groups you can have files inherit the group from the
> > directory they are in.  Is there any inheritance with ACLs?
>
> See 'setfacl d:' which can be used to set a "default" ACL on a directory
> so that all "newly created files" will inherit it....

But this does not work satisfactory all the times. Given you have a directory
on one system that everybody within a certain groups should be able to access
completely. Then you scp a file that is not group writable (e.g. from a cd)
to it. Which default ACL for a group will makes the file writeable or
chmodable for everyone from this group? Afaik there is no such ACL. The best
approaches except giving everybody chmod/chown acces via sudo would be to
mount vfat filesystem into the directory, because it accepts a gid/uid mount
option to enforce a certain gid for all contents, or to use a fuse wrapper
filesystem that manages the permissions, but I am not sure, whether this is
possible or does already exist.

Regards,
Till