None of the Above (was Re: Sendmail still default?)

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Sun Oct 19 19:32:20 UTC 2008

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 3:26 PM, Karel Zak <kzak at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 11:37:16AM -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>> Anybody trying to argue for the politics of Exim/Postfix/Sendmail as
>> default choice is ignoring the reality...
>
>  (+1)
>
>  Good point, but don't forget that Fedora is pretty ambivalent
>  distribution. It's a "desktop distribution" where some people want to
>  disable non-X console and other people use postfix,

That's right - desktops are different from servers.  Fedora's core
should be driven from the use cases, and where the use cases have
things in common, they're shared.  Where they don't, they're not.

Specifically regarding an MTA, as I said before I understand there's
the "workstation" use case where you're say doing web development and
you want to install Apache or Tomcat or something locally and run
logwatch on it.  We obviously will support that.  But it doesn't make
sense for the default desktop OS to be sending you email about all the
junk going on under the hood.