None of the Above (was Re: Sendmail still default?)

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Oct 21 10:39:12 UTC 2008

Le Mar 21 octobre 2008 10:05, David Woodhouse a écrit :

> On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 10:51 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>>
>> Also filtering mail on MUA startup is just trainwreak recipe.
>> If you want your MUA to start fast you need to pre-filter junk mail
>> in
>> the background (no not everyone uses gmail and gmail is not perfect
>> anyway).
>>
>> So far, I haven't seen anything beating fetchmail + local MTA +
>> server-side filters + local imap or local maildir delivery in
>> Fedora.
>
> But if you're using fetchmail, it's too late to filter -- because you
> should be rejecting the stuff you don't want at SMTP time.
>
> Filtering wants to be done on the _real_ mail server that accepts
> incoming mail.

Sure but many people do not have an ISP that provides clueful
filtering, and even gmail is not so yummy when you take the privacy
and no warranty bits into account.

> Doing it after fetchmail is almost as bad as doing it
> in the MUA.

It's not. It means that when you start your MUA, everything is already
available and filtered, instead for waiting for (10s or more) seconds
with a massive CPU pike. That makes a huge user experience difference.

--
Nicolas Mailhot