None of the Above (was Re: Sendmail still default?)

Alan Cox alan at redhat.com
Tue Oct 21 14:33:43 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 03:07:13PM +0100, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> queued and presented at login - if the user is running on their system
> but doesn't have the desktop infrastructure running, then by definition
> they're already outside the standard desktop usecase.

You mean like boot, shutdown, being logged out, ...

> As a happy side effect, it removes the need for a default MTA in the
> desktop install. People who want an MTA then get to choose whichever MTA

Actually that I question somewhat. Both POSIX and the LSB require local mail
delivery services. A suprising number of applications that don't currently
specify sendmail dependancies appear to use it. Have a grep...

And if we are going to worry about desktop experiences then perhaps making
evolution not totally suck, fixing the way the desktop totally disintegrates
when you run out of disk space, a working gdm again and a few other items
would be far better use of time than macdinking with log delivery.

My own experience is that if you are using gnome and run out of local disk and
or quota the fact your mail is not delivered is the least of the problems,
and managing to log in and then having to restore half your desktop settings
are far bigger ones.

Alan