Make subpixel smoothing default?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Tue Oct 21 14:53:15 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 04:40:23PM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Subpixel works well on laptops. On desktops people tend to be more
> sensitive to the color fringes even if they do have a LCD. Grayscale
> works best in that case.

Interesting observation. I expect this is due at least in part to what I
noted about resolution and pixels-per-inch: my nice big LCD screen has 89ppi
(full pixels), whereas my Vaio U101 has 180ppi. The later is an extremely
nice little screen, but even a more typical laptop generally has over 100.

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>
Senior Systems Architect