Need a build chain in koji, not a chainbuild [SOLVED]

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 27 18:02:04 UTC 2008

Am Montag, den 27.10.2008, 10:07 -0700 schrieb Jesse Keating:
> On Mon, 2008-10-27 at 17:55 +0100, Patrice Dumas wrote:
> > If I recall well in that case the packagfes already built are put in the
> > repo. So the remaining of th echain is aborted but what is already built
> > is not removed.
>
> That is my understanding as well, since once in the collection, and in
> the buildroot, it may have been used for building something else, not
> part of your chain, and thus removing it is the wrong solution.

This is correct: Packages that are built are going to the repo, sooner
or later. But the current chain-build behavior is not very logical when
it comes to groups. One can separate different groups with colons, which
are built in parallel.

Example of building a package called baz.
      * Normal (sequentially) chain-build:
        make chain-build CHAIN='foo bar'
      * Grouped chain-build
        make chain-build CHAIN='foo bar : foobar'
In this example foo and bar are built in parallel, then foobar and baz
are build in parallel too, while one (at least me) would expect it to be
built after the previous packages in the chain. If baz fails because
foobar is not ready yet, foobar will be canceled. Pretty confusing.

So every time you start using groups, you have to use trailing colons
        make chain-build CHAIN='foo bar : foobar :'

Thanks to the people who helped me on IRC to figure this out. I will try
to update the wiki to make this more clear later when I finished with
Xfce.

> Long term, I really think we need to do chains in their own custom build
> collection so that they can be atomic and they can be aborted in whole.
> Also it would allow us to use chains on targets that don't self update
> such as updates candidates.

+1

Christoph