X on tty1 in Rawhide/F10

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Oct 28 17:38:16 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 13:15 -0400, Casey Dahlin wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 09:06 -0700, Christopher Stone wrote:
> >
> >> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 8:39 AM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de>
> >> wrote:
> >>         On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 16:24 +0100, Olivier Galibert wrote:
> >>         > On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 04:49:33PM +0200, shmuel siegel
> >>         wrote:
> >>         > > Did you ever think that maybe, just maybe, the code did
> >>         that
> >>         > > deliberately? Maybe someone thought that it would be a
> >>         good idea for
> >>         > > usable consoles numbers to start at 1?  Or someone thought
> >>         that once
> >>         > > people started down a certain path with conventions, it
> >>         shouldn't be
> >>         > > changed unless the people saw a real benefit.
> >>         >
> >>         > Haven't you heard?  If you're not a graphical-only
> >>         desktop-type single
> >>         > user working on a laptop, you're not relevant.
> >>
> >>         Exactly - nothing much to add.
> >>
> >>         Time to evaluate other distros.
> >>

> >> I can think of better reasons to switch distros other than what tty X
> >> is run on.
> >>
> > True, but it's one brick in a lengthy series of stupid and silly
> > decisions, which have been gradually running down Fedora into this
> > single-user windows clone it has evolved into.
> >

> Are you serious? Really?
Yes, I am.

>  You must have a very tenuous grasp of OS internals.
>
> Who does this affect?
E.g. application devs, documentation writers, experienced users.

The only party to which this change doesn't make a difference is total
newcomers.

> 1) People using the console a lot who also run X (remember, runlevel 3
> hasn't changed).
That's my standard use case, because I do need X11 running most of the
time on my machines. I log into them on consoles and launch a desktop
via startx, when I need it.

>  Desktop users don't use consoles, server users don't
> use X (I hope). Only a few species of geek remain.
Not true. Most "Win converts" (I prefer them call them Win-kiddies) are
working on "personal machines" and are running X11-Desktops.
For other users (feel free to call them them "geeks", X11/gdm etc. are
just avoidable ballast.

> 2) People recovering from X crashes. Bugs. Errors. Things we could be
> fixing and making not happen rather than accommodating this bizzare F1
> fetish.

Once more, your "F1 fetish" to me is a silly, avoidable change, whose
only feature it is to break documentations, habits and to add further
hassle.  A completely superfluous change.