Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 07:40:49 UTC 2008

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 9:36 PM, Dax Kelson
> * With the current rawhide behavior, what happens when you combine > this with fast user switching?
> The first user's desktop is on tty1, and then
> is the second desktop is on tty7, and the third on tty8? I tried to test
> this in my lab but I suspect video driver problems (radeon) because > my test machine would lock up.

I can confirm... second user's gdm login appears on vt7.

But is this actually a problem? All the UI elements for screen locking
and logging out provide a switch user option back to the first user. I
never needed to use the vt1 or vt7 short cut keys. The gui is self
consistent with regard to user switching regardless of what vts are
used.

As a graphical interface user, the only time I need to worry about
knowing about vt's is if I need to explicitly drop out of the gui.
And I only need to do that if things lock up so badly that I cant
start a terminal...but not so badly that the keyboard isn't locked up
as well.

The only reason I know the vt's are there is because I know the vt's
are there. And since I know the vt's are there.. I know to cycle
through them.

-jef"is just going to turn off all his gettys and see if he can adapt"spaleta