Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Wed Oct 29 09:56:42 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 09:45:15AM +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:

> I don't think it can work like that.
>
> 1. send a mail saying sendmail won't be on the default desktop install
> 2. heat hands on ensuing flames

This shown up to be controversial, so in the end someone has to decide.
But at least asking may bring in interesting issues and also help. There
is noise, of course, and bikesheding, but not only.

> The problem with fedora-devel-list is that the 0.01% of most technical
> users are there, most unable to understand that normal people don't use
> an smtp server or setup nfs.

But they are also the most able to do interesting proposals and help with
the code.

> If we include everything we've ever started by default in the future
> versions, and any of the latest cool new stuff, our boot times are going
> to get longer, and our base install bigger.
>
> Design by committee just doesn't work.

It is not design by commitee I am advocating, but using the resources
here to try to also please old timers and advanced users. In the end
somebody has to take decisions in an authoritative way, sure, but may be
more informed and have more support if community is asked in the process.
The flamewars will always be there, but additionally you can have a
better design and more participations if a consultation is done before
the fact.

--
Pat