Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Brian Wheeler bdwheele at indiana.edu
Wed Oct 29 12:42:58 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 14:34 +0200, shmuel siegel wrote:
> Brian Wheeler wrote:
> > I'm going to agree with the -1.
> >
> > Almost all of the "reasons" from the original email boil down to "we've
> > always done it this way".
> >

> And what about the other reasons?
>
> There have been two reasons given for maintaining the change.
> 1) Your use case doesn't interest me.
> 2) We've thought of a way to accomplish our goal. There have been no
> objective.

I'm still trying to figure out why there's all the love for X on tty7.

Things change.  We adapt.  Having the primary interface on tty1 makes
much more sense than it being on tty7.  On a semi-serious note, the tty7
choice is a historical accident...not a design choice.

OSS has been replaced.
Static /dev has been replaced.
SysV init has been replaced.
IDE drives aren't /dev/hd* anymore.
We're using LVM instead of raw partitions.

All of these things (and more) caused a bit of trouble when they were
first introduced and then became the norm.

Brian