Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Oct 29 16:11:46 UTC 2008

Brian Wheeler wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 10:25 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
>> On 2008/10/29 08:26 (GMT-0400) Brian Wheeler composed:
>>
>>> Almost all of the "reasons" from the original email boil down to "we've
>>> always done it this way".
>> Don't boil it down. The reasons are good why we've always done it this way
>> and should keep the status quo. I haven't seen sufficient reason in this
>> thread to dismiss those reasons.
>
> _What_ are the good reasons why we've done it this way?  Its only tty7
> because someone arbitrarily decided to run 6 getty processes way back
> when.  If someone had decided that 4 was sufficient, then we'd be
> arguing about tty5.
>
> At least with X being on tty1 it makes sense since its the primary
> terminal for most people.

As has been pointed out, this is *irrelevant* for people that don't
usually fiddle with VT's. Those that do expect a text terminal on VT1.

It's not so much that VT7 is "magic" as that the expectation is text
VT's, then X VT's, with both in contiguous blocks. You're breaking this.

> The only non-"but that's the way it's always been" argument I've seen
> thus far is documentation...which is something that can be changed.

...for Fedora, when all other distros do something different? (Oh, wait,
it's not even consistent in Fedora!) So now you have to document:

All non-Fedora distros, Fedora that's ever been in runlevel 3
...and...
Fedora booted in runlevel 5 and never changed to another runlevel

Really, is that desirable?

(This whole thread is absurd. I don't personally like the change but I
could probably stomach it. What *really* irritates me is that the people
pushing it don't appear to care about the objections; they're not
responding intelligently to them, they're just trying to bury them under
the "wave of progress", not to mention the "vocal minority" argument.
Add to that how the make-everyone-happy proposed solutions are being
ignored... If I wanted a distro that throws out things that
traditionally work and imposes decisions on me, I'd go use Ubuntu,
thanks. It bothers me to see the extent to which people seem to be
pushing Fedora in that direction, especially when Fedora is supposed to
be "Red Hat Alpha", but is making decisions that are bad for an
Enterprise distribution like Red Hat.)

--
Matthew
EPUN: program terminated due to egregious wordplay