Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Dax Kelson dkelson at gurulabs.com
Wed Oct 29 17:20:36 UTC 2008

> Just as long as "old school" also gets rid of udev and everything hal
> or dbus related and brings back magicdev AND linuxconf! Oh and turns
> off selinux off...gives me ipchains as a firewall and disables ssh and
> gives me rsh instead as the only remote shell....and gives me a fvwm
> desktop using xdm as the login manager.
>
> -jef"seriously the udev/hal stuff was a far more fundamental and far
> reaching technology shift than which vt X is running on. The flipside
> to all the arguments here is all gettys could be off by default unless
> local admins want them on..and at that point its a customization and
> admins can do whatever the hell they want with their gettys.  I admin
> a small number of systems, and the reality is I can actually live with
> gettys off by default. If I need them I can enable them on the systems
> that need them."spaleta

Most (all?) of the technologies you mentioned are cross-distribution.
Everybody switched, compatibility across distributions was maintained.
Books and brains were free to drop the old ways and just document and
learn the new ways.

This X tty change is not comparable. Apples and Oranges.

Dax Kelson
Guru Labs