A suggestion regarding new features

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 29 17:31:45 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 11:15 -0600, Dax Kelson wrote:

> Your initial goal SHOULD BE TO AVOID A STEP 3 RESOLUTION IN THE FIRST
> PLACE.
>
> Many people have voiced concerns that to many $NEWFEATURES are going
> straight to Step 3 without exploring a Step 1 or Step 2 resolution.
>
> No sane person would prefer a Step 3 resolution versus a Step 2
> resolution.

I disagree with this last statement. Many sane people would prefer going
straight to step3. Mainly b/c it is easier. think about it - if you
don't have to lug around years of legacy it is much less work.

It's the difference b/t fixing something old and buying a new one.

Step 3 is a consumable society solution.
Steps 1 and 2 are about keeping older systems working while slowly
migrating to newer solutions.

Step 3 is an artifact of a generation (of which I am one) raised to
believe it is better to buy a new one than to fix the old one. But it is
not insane, let's be clear, it is very sane in that it is the path of
least resistance in terms of maintenance. The problems is it is not
sustainable when you're trying to make things work for a user/developer
community that is as diverse  as ours is.

-sv