X on tty1 in Rawhide/F10

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Wed Oct 29 20:48:55 UTC 2008

Matthew Woehlke (the-spambots-will-find-you at no.matter.what) said:
> Aside from the obvious question if this wouldn't start out as a
> Fedora-specific kernel patch, why do you assume Fedora will be the only
> distro with this problem? Or is plymouth (and similar technologies)
> expected to remain Fedora-only forever?

I'd like to think it can be used other places, yes. But flopping ttys
based on command line arguments is just *WRONG*, for the reasons stated
already.

For example, right now, the user can customize their init system so that
tty7 is a continually updating 'top'. Or Star Wars piped through libcaca.
So, to do this reliably, you'd have to somehow get 'the specifics of how
the init system is configured' into the kernel, which is getting into
ridiculous levels of convolution.

Bill