Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Wed Oct 29 23:31:22 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 05:51:23PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> The fact that it's just convention based on the number of ttys
> configured (that the admin can override) also means that any
> change to unilaterally swtich to tty7 in plymouth means you're
> potentially stomping on a local-use-for-something-else tty. I
> don't think telling admins "if you want to run top on tty7, or
> have already configured your system to do so, you need to edit some
> plymouth thing and re-run mkinitrd for any kernel you want to boot"
> is something that's necessarily going to fly.

For what it's worth¹, I didn't notice this change because I've for years
configured my X sessions to be on F11 and F12 because the end of the row is
easier for my family members to remember than random keys in the middle.

Well, and also because KDM still defaults to vt7 in the current kdmrc in
rawhide, and I had to switch to KDM when GDM got all broken with multiple X
servers a few months ago. (There's a bug in bugzilla for that somewhere.)

1. Approximately nothing. I was just feeling left out what with having nothing
meaningful to contribute to this thrilling thread.

--
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>
Senior Systems Architect