Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 23:39:33 UTC 2008

Brian Wheeler wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 16:29 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
>>> So, out of curiosity...Do you run X on your RHEL machines?

They are mostly CentOS, but yes, I run X on the ones that aren't
overloaded or overexposed, but I mostly interact via freenx and a more
or less roving NX client.  For a long time I used an FC6 box as my main
desktop machine but for reasons that aren't particularly interesting,
have moved it to a less convenient location where it continues to run
tape backups and now park an NX login on one screen of a dual-headed XP
box and can barely tell the difference.  Which means I can just as
easily work directly on boxes in remote data centers so I do a lot less
locally - and I can pick up the desktops on a laptop or my home machine
with everything still running.

>>> Are you
>>> going to switch from RHEL when this change makes it into RHEL6 or
>>> whatever?

At least if a change like this happens it would stay for long enough to
be worth remembering it.

> I wasn't trying to be unfair.  One of the main reasons I use fedora is
> to find out what is coming in RHEL.  I just genuinely curious
> considering that alot of his statements on this topic seem to imply that
> people will leave due to this change (and possibly others).

It's not so much about the impact of any single change that would make
that would cause someone to switch distros, it is more about whether you
trust it to be usable in the future, continuing to do as you've learned
to expect and continuing to run the scripts you've written to it's
conventions.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com