Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 15:57:23 UTC 2008

Matthew Woehlke wrote:

>>> Why would you expect that?
>>
>> Because it is experimental and high maintenance to run.
>
> I beg to differ. Building KDE from trunk, now /that's/ "experimental and
> high maintenance", and even that not so much. The only problem I've had
> with Fedora 8/9 is the cr*p nvidia drivers don't work quite right on my
> setup, and that's hardly Fedora's fault.

It is fedora's fault that their policy makes it difficult for you to run
vendor drivers.  But I think you've been lucky with very common hardware
or maybe there's been a lull in the serious breakage.  I gave up when an
update late in the FC6 cycle which should have been stabilized by then
and didn't need disruptive changes failed to boot from scsi on a fairly
common dell box.

> Maintenance... sure, I run 'yum update' every few days, big deal :-).

I don't mind running the update - it's when things don't work afterwards
or a remote machine doesn't come back after a reboot that is the problem.

> Most of the Fedora-related headaches I run into are from needing a newer
> package than what's in the official updates due to a requirement in
> KDE's trunk (like cmake 2.6.2, which I'm hoping will get pushed through
> before it becomes a hard requirement in a few weeks).

Throw in a few of the third party repositories that you need to deal
with the policy and legal restrictions on what fedora provides and
things get even more problematic.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com