using yum/repoquery to provide dependency trees

James Antill jantill at redhat.com
Mon Sep 1 05:30:58 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-01 at 00:46 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:

> Anyway I'm wondering if there's a way to some dep tree style bits with
> packages that are installed to see what causes the dependencies of
> what is actually installed. EG if I do a 'yum remove perl' it
> basically wants to uninstall gnome and a lot more but it would be nice
> to be able to see exactly what installed packages depend on perl or
> perl-Pop-Simple for example.

 There are a couple of things I think you might find useful (off the top
of my head):

repoquery --alldeps --whatrequires <dep>
package-cleanup --leaves
pkg-deps-tree-view.py --limit-installed <pkg> (or *, for everything)

...the later¹ is probably closest to what you want, I think, as it will
spit out deps. into a tree like format and then you can browse it.

¹ http://fedorapeople.org/~james/yum/commands/pkg-deps-tree-view.py

--
James Antill <jantill at redhat.com>
Red Hat