wtf ... Something strips installed binaries???

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Sep 2 08:01:50 UTC 2008

I installed a binary from an RPM last night.  Here's what I installed:

# rpm -qlvp ~rjones/rpmbuild/RPMS/i386/ocsigen-1.1.0-3.fc10.i386.rpm | grep /usr/bin
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root    root          2294198 Sep  1 23:32 /usr/bin/ocsigen

This morning:

# ll /usr/bin/ocsigen
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 298908 2008-09-01 23:32 /usr/bin/ocsigen

This stipped binary is broken -- these binaries must NEVER be stripped!

/var/log/prelink/prelink.log shows that prelink did something to the
binary, but shows no errors.

(1) What is stripping installed binaries?

(2) How do I tell automated cron jobs NOT to interfere with installed
binaries?

Rich.

PS. Personally I think the idea of having cronjobs which modify system
files under /usr in-place is totally crack.  If prelinking is
genuinely useful, save the extra prelink data into a /var file.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v