Banned from Fedora Forums

David P. Quigley dpquigl at tycho.nsa.gov
Tue Sep 9 20:35:26 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 16:14 -0400, Luya Tshimbalanga wrote:
> Quoting Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com>:
>
> > A few of them are pretty blunt, but the personal critique of my skills
> > as a programmer [2] and PackageKit is pretty blunt too (especially by a
> > "Community Manager").
>
> Hi Richard,
>
> I am one of developer from Fedora Artwork who has been recently promoted as
> Community Manager mostly for adding Fedora Weekly News. I haven't followed the
> incident about the ban issue, being busy with daily schedule for college and
> work on Echo icon theme, until now. I think there is a problem with
> communication with one of community manager (I avoid to mention name to prevent
> further clashing). As for the guideline, here is[1]. Though I have not read all
> posts, bringing to Fesco would be good idea.
>
> Ironically, this controversy like this one brought exposure of both users and
> developers. It appears now that more active participations are needed thus
> bringing more strong ties.
>
> I apologize for now being active in that topic. Hopefully that will be resolved
> in a diplomatic way.
>
> Regards,
>

> --
> Luya Tshimbalanga
> Fedora Project contributor
> http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/LuyaTshimbalanga
>

> Reference:
>
> http://www.fedoraforum.org/?view=guide

I don't normally chime in on stuff like this but I actually registered
for fedora forums recently so I could provide some SELinux help on my
off time.

I've read through a majority of Richard's posts and from what I see his
main sin here is responding to old posts. I also read through the
guidelines and faq that the person who banned Richard says to read and
nowhere in there do I see a mention of not dredging up old posts. The
closest thing I can see Richard violating in the guidelines is "cross
posting" by possibly posting the same answer to several questions. If
dredging up old posts is an offense then it should definitely be in the
guidelines that you linked. It seems that all of Richard's posts were
today so if he registered today and was banned today this is probably a
bit heavy handed considering most of his posts were civil and being rude
doesn't seem to be one of the reasons for banning him.

On the other hand the person who banned Richard started a thread with a
post that violates several of the guidelines and then proceeded to use
those same guidelines as later justification to ban him.

It's unfortunate that something like this happened since I've never had
a problem with packagekit getting in my way at all. I can only imagine
the stuff I'd face since most peoples' first instinct when something
goes wrong is to blame SELinux.

Dave

P.S. I only speak for myself.