Boot speedup with readahead

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Thu Sep 11 09:18:47 UTC 2008

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:

> On Thursday, 11 September 2008 at 10:34, Panu Matilainen wrote:

>>> Thank you, I've applied this to the one I uploaded above.
>>>
>>> So this seems to work - now the question is - should we push for this to
>>> go into rpm instead?
>>
>> Not instead, but to rpm *too*, yes.
>>
>> Quite obviously an action that's currently done from say %post script
>> should stay at rpm level, moving some things to be only done once per
>> transaction is just an optimization really. But yum knows a lot more about
>> the surrounding world than rpm does, such as which repository a package
>> came from which is something rpm has no clue about, and thus it can do
>> things in post-transaction that rpm simply could not do.
>
> Granted, but why would it matter where a package came from? All packages
> should be treated the same, regardless of their origin. I smell some
> package racism brewing up here. ;)

Where a package came from is just one example of things that yum knows
that rpm doesn't. Whether there's any real use-case for that particular
piece of information is entirely different question. The point is that yum
is in position to do various things that rpm cannot possibly do because
they operate on different levels and with different amount of information
available to them.

 	- Panu -