Beware: External repos can break key transition

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Sep 12 00:36:42 UTC 2008

Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta <at> gmail.com> writes:
> Seems okay for me. I just installed xine-lib-extras-nonfree on my
> 32bit system. Perhaps this a transitory issue due to one of the
> mirrors not being fully synced?

Not really. Everyone with xine-lib-extras-nonfree installed who didn't migrate
to the new key yet is going to be hit by it, as the matching xine-lib only
shows up once the newkey repo is enabled, and the yum update which should do
that will fail due to broken dependencies (chicken&egg at work, the "chicken"
is working "yum update", the "egg" is the new fedora-release package).

Only a selective update (with --skip-broken or --exclude, or by manually
listing what to update - note that for F9, a new PackageKit is also needed, so
please DON'T just "yum update fedora-release") can bring the user out of this
mess.

The easiest way out for a new user is to use the PackageKit GUI, click
on "Review updates" and uncheck the xine-lib-extras-nonfree update, then apply.

All the folks who claim there is no problem aren't affected because they
updated immediately after the new fedora-release went out, before the
xine-lib-extras-nonfree update happened in Livna. (Congratulations, you managed
to update within a couple hours of the announcement! ;-) )

        Kevin Kofler