Pulseaudio : lots of issues, how can I help?

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Mon Sep 15 06:19:44 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 00:33 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> "The thing is, hardware mixing is a thing of the past, modern soundcards
> don't do it anymore. Precisely for doing things like mixing in software
> SIMD CPU extensions like SSE have been invented. Modern sound cards
> these days are kind of "dumbed" down, high-quality DACs. They don't do
> mixing anymore, many modern chips don't even do volume control anymore."

What, they still make sound cards? Onboard sound is still noisy as hell.

You can have my Aureal Vortex2 when you pry it from my cold dead hands,
or whenever they stop making PCI motherboards. (Have they already? I
haven't even looked. The last system I bought a few years back is an AGP
system since PCIe was much more expensive for no real gain at the
time...)