Boot speedup with readahead

Kristian Høgsberg krh at redhat.com
Mon Sep 15 20:17:34 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 14:04 -0400, Seth Vidal wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 13:02 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> >   - Kristian Høgsberg built razor which can solve deps in fraction of a second
> > where yum simply takes way too long.  Is anyone in the RPM camp impressed?
> > No.  They just don't think it's possible to do with RPM.
>

> Kristian built something which solves some dependencies. Mostly he wrote
> a mmap'd repometadata format.

Look, depsolving isn't hard and razor is on par with yum as far as
correctness goes and in a whole different class as far as performance
goes.  I'm sure it's convenient to write it off as just a different
repodata format, but we both know razor is much more than that.

Our current package deployment stack is a horrible tangle of different
scripting languages, different database formats and an rpm codebase that
we're afraid to touch.  A lof of that complexity is self-inflicted, the
rest is horrible implementation.  We could be ambitious here and try to
own the problem from laying the files down on disk all the way up to
doing depsolving in an instant.  Instead we have a small group of people
adding bandaids to yum and tip-toeing around the rpm complexity, while
telling everybody how hard this problem is and we're lucky yum isn't
slower with all the things it does.

I don't have the time or energy to jump into this discussion, and when I
do, despite my better judgement, I get frustrated, upset and lose my
motivation for a week.  Keep your pathetic little kingdom.

Kristian