The state of resolv.conf

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 16:23:47 UTC 2008

Nils Philippsen wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 14:51 +0200, Adam Tkac wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 01:34:06PM +0200, Ahmed Kamal wrote:
>>> Is there any current daemon that does this effect of directing name
>>> resolution to specific servers according to IP ranges and/or domain names,
>>> with the option of adding/removing servers on the fly ? Does dnsmasq do that
>>> ?
>>>
>> What you mean with "according to IP ranges/domain names"?
> [...]
>> - if you want redirect target domains to different servers you can use
>>   BIND and forward zones:
>
> I would want to be able to do that based on domain names (which is
> easily done with BIND) and on classless IP ranges. I don't think the
> latter can be done as the IP ranges are octet-granular, e.g.
> 10.in-addr.arpa for 10.0.0.0/8 -- I can't imagine how I would tell BIND
> to use a certain server for e.g. 10.1.0.0/12 (where 4 MSB of the second
> octet are part of the network address and the remaining 4 LSB are part
> of the host address).

For private ranges/domain views, you'd normally either have a local DNS
  server configured as primary or secondary for those zones that can
also resolve public addresses, or for roaming vpn users you'd use a
similar central private server that can resolve everything, public or
private while you are connected.  You'll quickly go insane if you try to
mix unrelated private connections (for example, if there really are
different parts of your 10.x.x.x range that don't know about each
other).   If there isn't some 'other' part of your 10.x range, you can
point the whole /8 to a server that knows about the part you use.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com