Non-X text mode console

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 19:57:42 UTC 2008

Colin Walters wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 11:17 AM, Janina Sajka <janina at rednote.net> wrote:
>> You're assuming the X-based assistive technology will become at least as
>> performant as the non X technology is today. I certainly don't regard
>> this to be impossible. I simply note we're not there.
>
> I am trongly suggesting that accessibility efforts focus on X based
> technology, because that is the focus of the work that goes on in the
> desktop.
>
>> But, I suspect we would also need multiple x-terms.
>
> gnome-terminal has tabs.  And multiple windows.

And the gnome desktop will collapse a large number of them into one item
in the task bar that expands to a list showing the window label
(defaulting to user at host:/path) of each.  I don't know if there are
accessibility hooks to read the task bar or the expanded list, though,
or after you select one and pop it to the front, how you find it on the
screen.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com