Fedora not "free" enough for GNU?

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Fri Sep 19 17:23:11 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 11:38 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Alan Cox wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 10:55:26AM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> >> I think I've missed something if that's actually the case.  Is there
> >> really a non-Sun java that is 100% compatible?  When I run java apps, I
> >
> > IBM I believe
> >
> >> don't want something "interesting" to happen.
> >
> > Thats about the trademark name not the code. You don't care what running
> > 'frobozz' does, but what 'java' means..
>
> Right - but I've just seen too much stuff that pretends to be java that
> isn't quite.  My latest encounter is a cell phone that doesn't give the
> jvm access to its soft (and only) keyboard.  You can install mini-opera
> but you can't type a url...

This really does not apply, you are confounding JVM compliance with the
sandboxing technique the phone maker decided to adopt.

You can as easily have a Sun JVM running in Linux and denying it access
to a keyboard.

These are 2 completely orthogonal things.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York