Orange Sombrero 9 Released - based on Fedora

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Sun Sep 21 15:12:26 UTC 2008

Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> One more Software Freedom Day well spent ;-)
>
> I'm proud to announce a new minor player in the world of insignificant
> clones of major, important Free and Open Source Linux Distributions,
>
>      *bling*  Orange Sombrero - /based on Fedora/ *bling*
>
> Orange Sombrero starts with releasing version number 9 - the same
> version number as the upstream distribution, Fedora, to avoid confusion.
>
> Has anything been changed?
>
> Yeah, a patch to anaconda[1,2] that didn't make it in in time for the
> Fedora 10 Beta freeze has been applied to compose this release -which is
> sort of the entire use case behind the patch anyway. Also, a different
> branch of Revisor has been used that uses the patch to anaconda[3].
>
> Since I've got limited bandwidth and disk space, this is a 1 CD
> distribution. If I had bandwidth and disk space, I might have thrown in
> a mid-release Everything Spin but I couldn't. Also, given that this is a
> 1 CD distribution, I've added an install class to anaconda so that it
> selects the correct groups of packages. Who needs "Office &
> Productivity" if there's only @core and @base, right? "Base System" FTW!
> It was fun, it took me 4 koji scratch builds of anaconda and another
> number of composes to get it "right".

Since this variant of revisor is a single CD distro, any reason to have
boot.iso in /images? Could gain +100megs for other stuff to fit in
boot.iso's place. Might help Martin at xs-olpc with his quest for a
single cd distro, and will most likely be a user of the re-branding offered.

Just a thought,

Jerry