recover from broken yum transaction

Conrad Meyer konrad at tylerc.org
Mon Sep 22 09:46:53 UTC 2008

Quoth Martin Langhoff:
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 7:32 PM, Conrad Meyer <konrad at tylerc.org> wrote:
> > Quoth Ralf Corsepius:
> >> I am able to run yum (FC9) on an i586 w/ 64MB RAM and 256MB swap.
> > Right, I run yum on a similar (i586, 128M of ram, plenty of swap) machine
and
> > it works great nowadays.
>
> We're talking about OLPC's XOs - with 256 RAM and no swap. Our 'base
> working set' is about half of that - so 128MB is all there is to play
> with. We're trying hard to trim out base working set, but that's where
> we are now (and some dev builds have been much more hoggish).
>
> The kernel is a champ as long as there's memory. When memory pressure
> kicks in it all turns nasty pretty quickly...
>
> Anyway - I'm happy to test again in a more controlled test-case if
> Seth wants it, but at first blush it looks like yum is not releasing
> memory at a time when it could.
>
> cheers,

> --
>  martin.langhoff at gmail.com
>  martin at laptop.org -- School Server Architect
>  - ask interesting questions
>  - don't get distracted with shiny stuff - working code first

Any reason for not having swap? Or if you don't want to use the disk all the
time, perhaps create a swap file before doing updates with yum? But as you've
said before, most users won't be using yum anyways (and even fewer users will
actually be getting updates at all). Power users can easily add swap.

Regards,
--
Conrad Meyer <konrad at tylerc.org>