Tried Pulse Audio Again--No Good For A11y

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Sep 23 00:00:06 UTC 2008

On Tue, 16.09.08 15:12, Matthias Clasen (mclasen at redhat.com) wrote:

> > 3.)	Logging in I hear first the GDM "audio logo," think I'll call it
> > an earcon from now on. But, Orca launches in my secondary audio device.
> > That's inappropriate, but I have no way to control that except to unplug
> > my secondary and tertiary audio devices and start over.
>
> Hardly pulseaudios fault if orca picks the wrong device. I have no idea
> how orca decides which device to use.

Actually, nowadays I prefer seeing PA as black box, where only PA
decides what device clients should be connecting to, not the clients
themselves. Policy decisions should be up to the sound server, not the
client.

That said, in some situations (like probably this one) it does make
sense to have device selection in the clients
themsevles. Unfortunately ALSA device enumeratin is rather flaky and
we don't support it in the PA backend for libasound.

Lennart