please deactivate services by default!

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 12:11:30 UTC 2008

>> I have some services found being activated by default that should be
>> removed for the following reasons:
>>
>> 1. sendmail: starts way too slow, is not usefull for any normal desktop
>> user I know. Making it usefull requires configuration so I assume
>> wohever uses that service _can_ activate it.
>>
>> 2. ip6tables: I do not know of any provider actually working with ipv6.
>> So I assume the mass of all users do not need it.

Fedora comes with it out of the box, the Mac AP/routers actually
support it out of the box as well as are some others I believe so by
not starting this we are leaving users open to possible attach
vectors.

>> 3. isdn: isdn requires configuration and thus should be set to start
>> when that config is actually done.
>>
>> 4. setroubleshootd: That service also takes long to boot, but its quite
>> usefull. I wonder if one could make auditd start setroubleshootd when
>> required - having two daemons working on base of the same informations
>> seems not very clever.
>>
>> So, now go on and punsh me ;)
>>

> Add sshd cups bluetooth and avahi to the list as well..

I actually think we should not ship printing support by default. Its
better for the environment if people actually have to work out how to
print to paper before they can do so.... think of trees we'll save :-P
Does that make my opinion correct though, probably not! Those services
are all very useful to be configured out of the box for newbies, but
it doesn't mean they can't be started up async though.

Peter