Re: please deactivate services by default!

Jesse Keating wrote:
On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 20:08 -0500, Matthew Woehlke wrote:
First, I'm not talking about root's mail. Second, how does local mail not work? I get 'you have mail' notifications just fine (granted, bash isn't as obnoxious about it as it could be, i.e. it seems like some days I don't see a notification, but...). 'mail' is able to read and manage my spool. What's the problem?

Root's mail is where things like logwatch and smart reports go.  That's
the only thing getting mail on a fresh install.

For users that never log into a virtual tty (and that's a large large
amount of them) they never see a new mail notification.

I agree it's a problem. It is, however, not the problem I'm raising my concerns about.

I *do* log into tty's (konsole is almost always one of the first three programs I start, and I often have a dozen or so tty's open at once), and I do get local mail sent to my user, ergo I *do* see new mail notifications. I don't think that's uncommon for power users using cron.

(Hmm. This reminds me of the opposite of the gdm-multi-login conversation, the attitude that we should cater /only/ to Joe Average and screw over power users.)

--
Matthew
"You know what Microsoft's problem really is? They've lost the ability to feel ashamed." -- Pamela Jones (Groklaw)