please deactivate services by default!

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Thu Sep 25 23:40:04 UTC 2008

> This particular problem doesn't concern me since my work does not depend on
> sendmail. But I think that a logical error is being made here. For repeat
> users, I don't see a real difference between updates and clean installs. I,
> for one, am very willing to install a new release since it will clean out
> accumulated junk. The only thing that I will keep from the old release is
> /home. I don't think that I would find it acceptable that previously assumed
> features just stopped working. Breaking cron or side effects of cron is
> unacceptable.

If you only keep /home, you'll lose your crontab (since they're in
/var/spool/cron, not /home).

In the longer term I would like to see cron-like functionality
provided by and integrated with GNOME, which would fix not only this
but also cleanly allow your cron jobs to access cached authentication
credentials in gnome-keyring, let you pop up notification messages,
etc.