Yum NFS mounted/shared cache directories?

James Antill james.antill at redhat.com
Fri Sep 26 03:35:46 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 19:10 -0400, Dr. Diesel wrote:
> Perhaps not a bug or maybe requires a feature request.  I'm attempting
> to host my /var/cache/yum directory on a NFS to share with several
> other machines.  I've tired doing with by simply changing the location
> in yum.conf and also by creating a symbolic link to the directory with
> no succes, yum just stops here with no error:

 What verison?
 What does strace say yum is doing?
 The sqlite documentation generally recommends against using NFS to
store the DB, although yum doesn't rely on multiple processes updating
the DB at once ... even so you might want to just have the packages
dirs. on NFS but leave the top level local.

 We're hoping that something like yum-avahi will allow you to share data
over the local network for Fedora 11, which is the "good" way to solve
this problem IMO.

--
James Antill <james.antill at redhat.com>
Red Hat