Instant Mirror Status...?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 06:35:15 UTC 2008

Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Sep 23, 2008, Matt Domsch <Matt_Domsch at dell.com> wrote:
>
>> Furthermore, I absolutely don't want to return the same mirror at the
>> top of the list _for everyone_ in a given country.
>
> Hash MM's "primary" IP address to select one of the various available
> mirrors, assuming they're returned in a consistent order?

If you are going to return a list of N mirrors, make N copies of that
list, rotating one position for each.  Knock the last octet off the
source IP and hash the remaining part with some consistent algorithm
that will give you N values and use that to choose the copy of the list
you send.  Everything is as distributed and robust as before, but you
don't defeat attempts to save your bandwidth with caching proxies.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com