unfrozen repo somewhere?

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Sun Sep 28 20:32:55 UTC 2008

Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 03:41:32PM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:

> > So now you've sort of separated the packages in Fedora into a "Core"
> > set, and then an "Extras" set.  Each set would have different rules
> > around release time, and probably for updates and such too.

> > Oh wait... that sounds like Fedora Core and Fedora Extras.

> No. The difference between Core and Extras was a different set of people
> and responsibilities, and different repos. Moreover in core there was
> many things that are not listed in my list, like clients, desktop apps
> and so on. This is a fundamentaly different distinction. Everything on
> my list corresponds, however, with things that were in Core.

> Here I wanted to separate the things that should be stable in freeze
> which make the base of the OS, and apps whose changes won't disturb too
> much other apps that are on top of those base apps but don't have much
> interdependencies (except within bounded groups).

What is "too much disturbance"? Who says that what for you is peripheral
isn't extremely important for the next gal?

There is a saying around here, "Ley pareja no es dura" (Evenhanded law
isn't hard), and (unless there is a /very/ strong reason to make a
difference) I'd prefer handling everything the same way. Cuts down on
endless bickering why something or other isn't in the other set, and what
the rules to belong in each group should be, and flaming over the
(inevitable) mistakes adding a package to the wrong group or handling it
according to the wrong set of rules.
Casilla 110-V, Valparaiso, Chile 2340000       Fax:  +56 32 2797513