Please recompile GStreamer codecs -- AKA: how to make things just work with PackageKit

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Sep 30 11:13:41 UTC 2008

On 30.09.2008 12:52, Richard Hughes wrote:
> I've been playing with the new code in PackageKit for codec installing
> with external repos. It was a little disappointed to find some external
> repos have not recompiled packages with a new gstreamer-devel and rpm.

Be sure to not check repos that will be EOL real soon now, as a few
package maintainers already stopped updating their packages there; look
at the successor repos. Instruction how to use those repos easily were
just posted yesterday:

http://lists.rpmfusion.org/pipermail/rpmfusion-developers/2008-September/001326.html

In short: If you are on rawhide run:
rpm -ivh \
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/development/i386/os/rpmfusion-free-release-9.90-2.noarch.rpm
\
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/development/i386/os/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-9.90-2.noarch.rpm

If you are on F8 or F9:

rpm -ivh \
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/updates/testing/8/i386/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-8-2.noarch.rpm
\
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/updates/testing/8/i386/rpmfusion-free-release-8-2.noarch.rpm
\

Please note that the new repos don't have entries for all their packages
in bugzilla.rpmfusion.org yet; thus please file bugs simply against
"advancescan" (that the first one in the package list); someone will
reassign the bug later.

Package owners can also be found in owners.list for the free and nonfree
repos:
  http://cvs.rpmfusion.org/viewvc/owners/owners.list?root=free&view=markup
http://cvs.rpmfusion.org/viewvc/owners/owners.list?root=nonfree&view=markup

CU
knurd

P.S.: I plan to stop updating livna-devel real soon now. The plan is to
put the rpmfusion-release rpms into the livna devel repo and add a hard
dependency on them in a updated livna-release package; that way users
that installed livna will normally automatically be moved over to the
maintained successor repo