F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Matthew Woehlke mw_triad at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Apr 1 01:03:39 UTC 2009

Adam Jackson wrote:
> So let's list the cases that zap would actually recover from:
>
> 1: stuck grabs
> 2: focus reverts to None and your window manager is dead
> 3: X driver that's decided to stop rendering (or stop rendering
> correctly)
4: "log out"... didn't. :-)

There's no data loss since I'm trying to make X shut down anyway. (And,
guess what? VT switching *doesn't work* with NVIDIA's so-called
"drivers". It'll be wonderful to have nouveau learn how to support
triple-head across two boards.)

While I do have access to other machines from which I could ssh in,
there's a huge convenience difference between giving the three-finger
salute and getting immediately back to work, and powering up another
box, logging in, finding X, killing it, going back down the hall to my
machine, finding out it didn't work, trying again...

(I've not filed bugs any of the many occasions this has happened because
I'm using trunk KDE; I tend not to bother filing bugs against stuff that
has a high probability of having been fixed before I even noticed it,
and might well be due to a bad build on my end.)

In the grand scheme of things, I log out so infrequently it's not a huge
deal, but I still think disabling c-a-bs is the wrong decision.

--
Matthew
This is a big deal, because now some tiny minority has lobbied for