future f12 test days

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Apr 3 14:53:44 UTC 2009

On Friday, April 03 2009, Rodd Clarkson said:
> It seems to me it would be much more sensible to spend time making the
> tools to convert CD/DVD's to LiveUSBs than to respin existing media in a
> new (and apparently more complicated) way.

Funny, we already have those tools! ;-)

> It would be great is fedora went so far as to provide builds for the
> various common Linux platforms, along with Windows, MacOSX, BSD and
> whatever else.

The biggest problem is that you really have to have a working syslinux
build.  These exist for Linux platforms and Windows, but I haven't found
one for OS/X.

> Also,
>
> Is it possible to supply LiveCD's that are smaller in size?  If I'm
> testing the graphics card for example, I don't really need an email
> client (and probably masses of other software on the disk).  How hard is
> it to just provide the necessities (another discussion I'm sure).

It's possible; it's just a matter of coming up with a new image config.
That ends up being a bit more work, though, and using the "stock"
configs means that people can actually end up using them for testing
other things as well which is a nice side benefit

Jeremy