Re: My first DontZap use case while testing F11 beta

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: My first DontZap use case while testing F11 beta
From: Adam Jackson <ajax redhat com>
To: Development discussions related to Fedora <fedora-devel-list redhat com>
Date: 04/08/2009 10:02 AM

I was talking this over with Kristian actually.  Since we allocate the
front buffer dynamically for KMS, we could probably let the maximum
virtual size be 4k or so (which I think really is the 2d limit).  In
principle, well-behaved GL apps are supposed to check the
GL_MAX_VIEWPORT_DIMS limit, since that's the maximum window size that's
expected to work.  So if compiz were well-behaved, it would refuse to
run if the root window were larger than that.

Whether compiz actually _does_ that is another question, of course.  But
I think changing the max virtual to 4k for intel 915 and 945 might be a
less bad set of tradeoffs.

I remember when I used an ATI card (and binary fglrx driver) that had a 2kx2k OpenGL limit, compiz only drew a 2048 wide composited window on my 2560x1024 dual-monitor system. This was back in the X.org 7.0/7.1 days. I had a nice white gap on half of the right monitor where it didn't draw.