My first DontZap use case while testing F11 beta

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Apr 8 16:29:40 UTC 2009

David wrote:
> On 4/8/2009 11:25 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> David wrote:
>
>>> Said more simply? This discussion is on the wrong list. You're talking to
>>> the wrong people. Actually it looks more like you are talking to
>>> yourselves.
>> Not quite: Setting up a distro and preparing packages to include them
>> into a distro is a bit more than blindly following "upstreams".
>
>> It also means package maintainers to be "listening" to their
>> "user-base", to communicate their user-base's concerns upstream and to
>> deviate from upstream when necessary.
>

> This discussion has me thinking about the last time I used C-A-B. And quite
> honestly I can't recall the last time. Certainly not recently.
As far as I am concerned:
- Ca. 4 weeks ago, when trying to get my netbook working with an
external monitor
- Today, when something, I don't know, crashed X and left me with an
entirely black screen.

> I do understand that some users have problems and that some users need this.
> However the way I see it is that the change has been made and will not be
> reverting.
>
> Which means one of two things.
>
> Learn to live with the change. Or you change it back yourself.
Or ...
- exchange upstream
- exchange the fedora packager
- switch the distro.
- fork the distro (This change alone is easy to patch).

I think it would be appropriate to have FESCo interfere and let them
vote on this matter.

 > Seems simple
> enough. One little change. I change many things from the defaults.
With each fedora release, I increasing change more. I am seriously
asking myself why I am using a distro which is increasingly divering
from my needs, and which I experience to be increasingly less usable
wrt. certain aspects.