rawhide report: 20090408 changes

David Nielsen gnomeuser at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 19:09:32 UTC 2009

2009/4/8 Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com>

> On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 19:03 +0200, David Nielsen wrote:
> >
> > Patches welcome, we are not impeding progress and bugfixing on the archs
> > actually can do it on and which users depend on because you demand we do
> so
> > yet give us no help what so ever when we ask for it.
> >
> > When I suggested we disable PPC temporarily nobody said a thing in
> protest.
> > You had your chance both to help and to object to the course of action.
>
> If you don't get it fixed by the final freeze, we'll just epoch and
> downgrade mono.  This kind of version change shouldn't really be made
> after beta anyway.

The version change happened long before the beta, we have had SVN snapshots
leading to 2.4 since the beginning of the F11 cycle. It was always the aim,
stated to ship with it. It all of a sudden stopped compiling on PPC and
nobody stepped forward for a clear solution. It's not like we bumped from
2.2 to 2.4 all of a sudden, it was a relatively minor change considering.

The last Mono to be compiled on PPC is close to 2.4, however we do not have
some changes that was requested as well as the bugfixes in between. I am as
of now unaware if the build failure is something that changed in the build
system or Mono. Considering the relatively few changes that should be
between the last SVN build and 2.4 final I am skeptical that it is the
cause. Around the same time Mono started failing I also heard that PPC was
acting weird for other people but that might be unrelated.

More in depth investigation is, and has been, requested. It's not like
anyone enjoys leaving our users without a full Fedora experience regardless
of their setup, it is a last resort to disable the build. It is however out
of our hands, our capable PPC team will hopefully be able to track down the
problem. I am hopeful they can put their thinking caps on and give us an
answer as to what is causing it.