Building custom spins interactively for embedded targets

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Thu Apr 9 14:04:27 UTC 2009

Ilyes Gouta wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been looking recently for a piece of software that would allow me
> to build a custom, Fedora based distribution for an embedded system.
> Basically I would like the tool to:
>
> 1. Select yum meta-packages and gradually populate my distribution (fine
> grained selection) from the standard repositories.
> 2. The tool would automatically pull-in the dependencies
> 3. Visualize at any moment the associated rpm packages that I'm going to
> install (and cross-compile) on my target
> 4. Identify and determine the srpms that I have to cross-compile to my
> target
> 5. Create the basic build system environment for the cross-compilation,
> that's download the srpms to a location and provide a basic rpm
> repackaging scripts.
> 6. GUI based, if possible
>
> Do you know if such a magic tool exists? It would be really awesome..
> I'd like to prepare a Fedora environment for my Beagleboard, which is an
> OMAP, ARM based board.

Not to poke at the host [this is a Fedora development list], but why?  It
would seem that there are better ways to create the embedded environment.
Your Beagle board has limited RAM and at best a small SD card - hardly the
place for even the smallest Fedora installation.

Fedora, as a distribution, isn't really targeted to such a job.
There are other tools, such as PTXdist, much better set up for this.