What is up with glibc in rawhide?

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Thu Apr 9 20:14:40 UTC 2009

On Thu, 9 Apr 2009, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> Panu Matilainen wrote:
>> In this case the breakage was bad enough I seriously doubt anybody has
>> managed to build anything with rpm using the broken glibc.i586 versions.
>> Rpm fails to even read its configuration in that case, never mind
>> actually building something.
>
> If you want to complain then to the idiots who made the decision to go
> with .i586 instead of .i686 for x86 binaries.  This is exactly the kind
> of problem I've been warning about all along.  Using the i586 target
> stresses code paths (in this case in gcc) which are hardly ever used
> since nobody cares for this target in general.

You haven't seen *me* complain. I'm mostly just happy that
- the problem got found
- it was somebody elses problem
- it broke rpm outright so it apparently wasn't possible to build
   anything, instead of finding out some subtle breakage in released
   packages two months from now (and this is what my comment above is about)

 	- Panu -